I’m proud to announce that I am now an “Approved Provider” of continuing education credits for the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork (NCBTMB). The following courses are now approved for continuing education credits:
Somatic Exercise Coach Training – Level One – 24 CE credits
The Fundamentals of Hanna Somatic Education – 8 CE credits
These courses will teach you the basic principles, science and assessment techniques underpinning what many in the medical profession are calling the “missing link in medical care.” Because Hanna Somatics addresses muscle tension and pain at the level of the central nervous system, pain relief is more long lasting.
How many of you are frustrated with working on a client whose shoulders (or neck, hip, back) won’t relax no matter what you do? How many of you aren’t sure how to help someone with major postural imbalances? How many of you are exhausted by working too hard to relax your client’s muscles – to the point of compromising your own posture and well-being? These courses will teach you information you can use for yourself and your clients, in order to learn to reverse your own muscle pain – on your own.
The mystery of most chronic muscle pain isn’t mysterious.
The fundamentals and basic Somatic Exercises of Hanna Somatic (Clinical Somatic) Education will de-mystify much of the mystery of chronic muscle pain and help you begin to help your clients more effectively. You will learn:
- How to recognize the three stress reflexes (as described by Thomas Hanna in the book, Somatics) to better understand and assess your client’s muscular imbalances.
- The root cause of chronic muscle pain – Sensory Motor Amnesia – and how it presents itself as, for example, low back pain, sciatica, TMJ, plantarfascitis, piriformis syndrome, neck, shoulder and hip pain.
- How re-educating muscles through movement, is the best way to reverse muscle tension and pain and improve muscle function – for the long term.
- How pandiculation, rather than stretching (whether static or active isolated) is the most rapid and effective way to re-set muscle length, function and tonus.
- How to teach your clients gentle, easy, profoundly effective somatic exercises that will release muscles faster and more effectively than passive stretching techniques.
- Self care exercises that will help you reverse your own muscle pain so you can continue to move well and work for as long as you wish.
I have been practicing somatic movement for several months with good results, but having had a one to one session with Martha’ s careful and precise guidance, I feel I gained an extra dimension to my overall movement quality. After just a 1-hour session my posture changed, my shoulders were more level and my gait was lighter and more fluid.
I give somatic exercises to most of my patients and I would encourage anyone interested in health to explore the potential of Hanna Somatics, either in a private session, a group workshop or through the DVDs available.
Dr. Andrea Franzi, Oseopath, York, England
Martha Peterson is the author of the book, Move Without Pain and developer of the “Pain-Free” series of instructional Somatic Exercise DVDs. Click here for her full bio.
Martha graduated from the National Holistic Institute in Oakland, CA. in 1988. In 2006 she graduated from the Somatic Systems Institute in Northampton, MA and was certified by the Novato Institute in Novato, CA as a Certified Hanna Somatic Educator. She teaches workshops, clinical trainings and private clinical sessions in both the USA and internationally. Contact her directly if you would like to bring her to your area for a training or workshop.