Hollyhock Retreat Center on Cortes Island, BC was founded in 1982 as a center for skill-building and life-long learning. They seek to inspire, nourish and support people whose work serves and educates others in bettering the world.
I love the people who come to workshops at Hollyhock – open, curious, positive – the kind of people who make me more optimistic about our society and the world.
– Andrew Weil, MD
The Myth of Aging at Hollyhock | August 24 – 28, 2016
You can register here or call Hollyhock at 1-800-933-6339 x232 to reserve your spot.
We will explore what Thomas Hanna, Ph.D called ““The Myth of Aging.” This is the commonly held belief that limited movement, disability and decrepitude is the inevitable result of aging. In reality, it is the way in which we unconsciously adapt to the physical, psychological and emotional stresses of our lives – the accidents, injuries, surgeries, traumas, adaptive behaviors – that determines whether we will become “creaky and old” or maintain our physical freedom, self-awareness, and independence. Participants will experience why it is time to turn the page on that perspective.
Through lectures, movement sessions and interactive participation students will learn:
- The root cause of most chronic muscle pain – Sensory Motor Amnesia (SMA) and how to reverse it
- How your movement habits and reflexive responses to stress contribute to conditions such as low back pain, neck, shoulder, hip and joint pain, sciatica, and chronic headaches
- How all humans respond reflexively to stress within three full body reflex patterns
- How to lengthen muscles and re-set muscle function without painful stretching
- A simple daily routine of somatic movements that, when practiced regularly, will relieve chronic pain and maintain freedom of movement for the long-term. The result is more fluid, efficient movement, improved breathing, drastic reduction of functional muscle pain, and improved somatic awareness.
Learning [at Hollyhock] is authentic and powerful. The ripple effect far exceeds the physical boundaries of this special place.